Limestone contactors in open top containers
This procedure provides the advantage of the quality of the outlet water being constant. In addition, a series of operational and maintenance costs improve considerably over the traditional designs. Each unit is individually made according to project specific need.
The limestone contactors are usually placed in parallel. Because they have the same height they offer the same counter-pressure. This facilitates the hydraulic design of the inlet manifold and provides an uniform and constant water distribution to the different tanks.
The containers usually work directly with the water pressure from the reverse osmosis output.
The turbidity of the limestone contactors is controlled using dust free material and maintaining a constant flow rate, i.e. avoiding sudden changes in flowrate. During water shocks flow is initially diverted and incorporated gradually thereafter to the contactor.
There is very little need to purge the limestone contactors, as they operate upflow and do not tend to clog. However, at least once a year a 5 minutes sponging is recommended to reduce the risk the formation of preferential pathways.
This design concept looks to reduce the height to minimize visual impact and to take advantage of the steel structure of containers to hold inside limestone contactors.
The recharge is done from the top part, by removing the canvas from the container.
The installation is quick and easy.
Internal parts and the DrinTec™ process are protected by various patents.
Advantages of DrinTec™ limestone contactors process:
- Equipment shipped in standard ocean container
- Very high efficiency
- Low or no automation
- Constant performance and water quality
- Low maintenance cost
- Minimum or no energy consumption
- No moving parts
- More than 30 days autonomy
- No need for qualified workforce to operate
- No need for frequent backwash
- Common flow range per container: 3,000 to 4,400 m³/day.Smaller units are also available.
- Filtration media: Granulated Limestone/Calcite (CaCO3 99%)
- Pressure: Atmospheric
- Container material: HDPE or FRP
- Internal parts:
- Underdrain floor: HDPE
- Modular spillways: FRP
- Feeding funnels: FRP + PVC
- Manufacturing standard: BS-EN-13121
- Manufactured in Spain
Copyright © 2015 FCCA - Centro Canario del Agua. All Rights Reserved.